Friday, 31 March 2017

Workbench Progress - Sisters of Silence



Hey there, I am back with another update and today I am showing off my Sisters of Silence squad that is made up of models from two copies of The Burning of Propsero boxed game from Games Workshop.


Firstly I must say that these models were not fun to build, they are much like the Skitarii models in that each one can only be built in a very specific way using specified parts so no winging it.  


Once I had managed to get them all built and unglued my fingers it was time for an under/basecoat.  Using my Air-brush I started things off with Balthasar Gold from the citadel-air range from Games Workshop, followed up with a thinned layer again with the air-brush of Retributor Armour from the Citadel Base range.  I then gave each model a light dry-brushing with Necron Compound from the Citadel Dry range.  Finally I gave all of the gold armour areas a wash of Reikland Fleshshade from the Citadel Shade range.


Once I was happy that everyone was gold enough I moved on to adding all of the other base colours across the entire squad.  I like to get a squad all up to the base colours stage as soon as possible as it makes them look good on the table top while I work on the details.


Now this is when things went a bit sideways, I had built the squad to conform to the original Dataslate that was provided shortly after The Burning of Prospero game was released so they had a mix of weapon options.  Soon rumours started to emerge that a new mini codex was on the horizon and when I saw a few leaked images it was looking like the mixed weapons would no longer be possible.  I had basically by this time finished painting a unit of ten which included three Great Swords, two Flamers and six Boltguns (shown above).  Once I had the new codex in front of me my fears were confirmed and it was time to start pulling off some weapons and arms so the squad could be fielded legally.  I manage to switch the Flamers to Boltguns by simply cutting the Flamers free and replacing them and then I carefully removed the sword arms and added more Boltguns.


The squad seen in the above image was the final outcome of all that messing about and while I am happy with how they look it is a shame that you can't upgrade a Sister Superiors weapon loadout to include a Great Sword.


I like the way the warpaint panned out, I tried to mix up the designs across the squad using as many examples as I could find from the limited artwork that is available online.


I used Khorne Red for the cloaks and other red details which was highlighted using Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, Wild Rider Red and Lugganath Orange all topped off with Bloodletter Glaze.




Well that's all for now, as usual please leave any comments in the comments section down below and please check back soon for more updates.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers, I was starting to worry that they would never be finished :)

      I have 10 Custodes who are now almost finished :)

      Delete