Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Tournament Report - Carnage Stronghold Assault


Hello again, today I am reporting on a small 40K singles event that I attended at my local GW.  The rules pack had us using the three missions from the Stronghold Assault supplement which if I am honest I have never played through.  We did not use the force organisation charts from the Stronghold book but were given a points limit of 1750pts for our attacker list.  We were also required to include up to 250pts of fortifications which would be added to our list should we roll to be the defender.  I decided on the list below which includes a large portion of my Drop Pod army with a Knight added for a some much needed punch, not including the Fortifications it all came to 1750pts exactly.

Company of the Great Wolf

Rune Priest - PML2, Terminator Armour, Stormbolter, Runic Staff.

Dreadnought - Multi Melta, Power Fist, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod.
Wolf Guard x5 - Combi Plasma x5, Drop Pod.
Wolf Guard x5 - Combi Melta x5, Drop Pod.
Wolf Guard x5 - Combi Flamer x5, Drop Pod.

Grey Hunters x10 - Chainswords x10, Drop Pod.
Grey Hunters x10 - Chainswords x10, Drop Pod.

Long Fangs x6 - Missile Launcher x5, Drop Pod.

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Warden - Avenger Bolt Cannon, Meltagun,
Heavy Flamer, Reaper Chainsword.

Fortifications

Vengeance Weapon Battery x2 - Quad-icarus Lascannon x2
Imperial Bunker - Comms Relay

Here are some shots of some of the armies during deployment for game one.


Chaos Khorne Deamonkin.

The Sons of Medusa.

Tau.

Chaos Khorne Deamonkin.

Craftworld Eldar.


Craftworld Eldar.

Imperial Fists & Imperial Knights.


Game 1
Space Wolves Vs Khorne Deamonkin
Missile: Bunker Assault
Defender
Result: Win


I knew straight away that I could win this mission if I could keep the forces of chaos out of my deployment zone.  Straight away I set too blocking their approach with my Drop Pods while my Knight prepared to kill anything that broke through the blockade.





With my Knight and the Long Fangs in the back field nothing was likely to get within scoring range of my Bunker.


I dropped my Combi Flamer squad in to eliminate the Bloodletters who were completely consumed by fire and destroyed.




My Combi Plasma Squad dropped in and blasted the chaos bikers down to size before finishing them in close combat.



The line was held as planned and the chaos forces withdrew in the later turns of the game to conserve there number and limit the points that I could score.

Game 2

Space Wolves Vs Tau
Missile: Breakthrough
Defender
Result: Loss


This game was completely mental, basically read this mission and then imagine two deepstriking armies play it.  Whoever rolled attacker was going to win this mission no problem and sadly I rolled defender again.



I dropped in first and killed three units of Tau Pathfinders for first blood and three early victory points.


The Tau then arrived on mass via Deepstrike and my Knight was destroyed after failing 6 Ion Shield saves in a row.


The Tau gradually moves off of my table edge while trying to keep me pinned down and away from my objectives.



Despite the Tau's best efforts I did manage to come out of this game only seven points down so I was happy with that.

Game 3

Space Wolves Vs Space Marines
Missile: Last Stand
Defender
Result: Win



When I read this mission I was not happy at all as my Knight had to start in reserves and with the harsh reserves restrictions in this mission that effect only the defender I would likely not see it in play the whole game.  I opted to start the game with only my Long Fangs on the table as a bait unit to try the at least choose where my opponent would concentrate his forces.  Sure enough my Long Fangs were beset on all sides right from the outset by a Skyhammer Annihilation Force and were destroyed before my turn one.


I then mounted an aggressive counter attack with four Drop Pods on my turn one, I had to do enough damage to give my left any chance of holding on long enough for my delayed reserves to arrive.


My Dreadnought dropped into the enemy deployment zone and set straight to work destroying a Landspeeder Storm with the loss of all hands and then went on to destroy a squad of Marine Bikers and a five man Tactical Squad before being taken out by a Lascannon.

So rarely does a Dreadnought get to shine so bright on the table top but this time round my Dread was man of the match.



I was fighting a very hard battle on all sides and losing units hand over fist but thanks to some hot dice on my side and some very cold dice for my opponent I managed to hold on and keep the points rolling in.



My reserves finally started to arrive in turn three and my Combi Plasma Squad took out the enemy Warlord in short order.


The fight for my deployment zone ranged on and for a time it looked like I would falter but on the last turn of the game my final Drop Pod and my Knight arrived and cleared the enemy out of my DZ and in doing so scoring me enough victory points to push me in to the lead.



After my final game I had time to pop round and take a few pictures of the other games.

Son's of Medusa Vs Daemonkin.

Tau Vs Daemonkin.

Eldar Vs Eldar.

And finally the score sheet, from what I was told and from the small print it was total victory points scored per game then you could score up to a maximum of ten points for paint score and a further five points per best player vote.


I was very happy to come in second overall with a total score of 53 and even happier to be awarded best painted.



2 comments:

  1. Great report, unfortunately I had to miss the event because I had a family engagement.

    It's a shame they didn't keep the rule that to win the event you had to get at least 1 Gamer vote, which would have meant that you won.

    Looked like some great looking armies, along with yours the Yellow/Red marines looked nice.

    Interesting and refreshing different Wolves list you used, very flexible. You've moved away from the Skyhammer formation, any particular reason ? I was going to add it to my Wolves, but use one of the Dev units as multimeltas and take less Grav in the other as it can lead to overkill (and a very expensive small unit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, yeah I wanted to move away from using my Thunder-Cav and use my actual original Wolves army more at the mo. I dropped two units from my 9 pod list and added the Knight as you can't go far wrong adding a Knight :)

      The Skyhammer was fun for a while but I sold it last week and pumped the cash back into my 30K projects.

      Delete