Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Workbench Progress - I Went And Updated my Space Marine Allies

Good day to you all, I have spent the last few weeks updating my Space Wolves themed Codex Space Marine allies in light of the new Space Marine codex so I thought I would show it all off today.

In my local meta it is very common for me to run into a lot of Tau armies who generally run two Riptides so I was looking for a second Grav-cannon unit that could Drop Pod in alongside my Grav Centurions for the old one two punch but I did not want a 2nd Centurion squad.

Then the most recent iteration of the Space Marine codex came to my aid and was generous enough to provide regular Devastator Squads with access to Grav-cannons so I picked up two boxes on release day.

My allied detachment was now going to have two heavy support slots filled so it was going to need to be upgraded to a Combined Arms detachment,  I would need a second unit of scouts and as Telion is now an HQ slot he looked like a must have to replace my Librarian.

I managed to get a metal Telion from eBay and upon it's arrival I set to removing the Ultramarine iconography and swapping the head for something a bit more Space Wolves-ish.

I know that some people don't like themed allies and years a go I would have counted myself among them but GW have made it very clear that the armies of the Imperium should be used together and if they will insist on restricting certain must take weapons from the likes of the Space Wolves and the Blood Angels then I feel we must oblige.

I generally use a Champions of Fenris detachment at local events along with an Imperial knight and my Grav-cannon allies so in light of my recent additions my revised allies detachment looks like this............

Imperial Bunker - Quad-gun, Void Shield
Telion
Scouts Squad (5 man) - Sniper rifles
Scouts Squad (5 man) - Sniper rifles
Drop Pod
Dev Centerions (3 man) - Hurricane Bolters x3, Grav-cannons & amps x3
Dev Squad (5 man) - Combi Grav, Grav-cannons & Amps x4, Drop Pod

I am very pleased with how Telion turned out, I felt it was important to use as much of the actual original model as possible as it helps an opponent recognize him over a kit bashed representation.

With his new Combi Grav my regular Long Fang Pack Leader has joined my new Grav-cannon Dev's.

These guys did have missile launchers which I pulled off and replaced with Grav-cannons, I then some of the new Space wolves upgrade kit shoulder pads to finish the look.

I thought I would fish out a Forgeworld city tile and put everyone on parade for your viewing pleasure, these guys look really cool fighting along side my Thunder-cav army.








Well that's me done for another week or two, I am now free to finish off bringing my two Skitarii Vanguard units up to full strength while I wait for payday to roll round so I can buy my next Primarch model which will be Horus this time.  I also have a four player Zone Mortalis game coming up next weekend so you can expect pictures from that game soon after.

Check back soon for more updates.

6 comments:

  1. Everything looking great Simon. I really love your telion. He looks awesome! The grav devestators look mean as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like themed stuff and those look awesome! Telion rocks and the conversion u have done looks sweet. I'm not huge fan of the centurion models but the Wolf stuff breaks up the slabs of armour look less prominent. Sniper scouts is an odd choice butwith their bs back to 4 makes more sense. I'm surprised u did not add rocket launchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dom, I went with Scouts as its a cheap way of getting the required troops for the detachments and now Telion is an IC its a small tax to pay :)

      I do enjoy the themed allies and I am glad other peeps seem to like them too :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Hell. I love Scouts. Love the models and the rules.u did cry when they made them ws and bs 3 costs have 40 of them and 20 terminators to make my 1st and 10th army. That go scrapped as soon as they got down graded. Back as they were while keeping the flavor rules so they must be at their best now. RL infiltrate and side armour tho. That's the dream and now they can hit again :)

    ReplyDelete