Monday, 18 May 2015

Workbench Progress - Skitarii Vanguard

Hey there,

My Adeptus Mechanicum army is starting to take shape, I have spent this week building and painting two 5 man units of Skitarii Vanguard.  I do plan to push both units to full size but I just wanted to get something built and painted and these units do satisfy the minimum required units for the Skitarii Maniple in the codex.

These models were very different to work with than I am used to,  Marines, Orks and Guardsmen who are all quite solid models while these Skitarii have a lot of finely detailed components like the Dark Eldar plastics so more care is advised when clipping components from the frames to avoid breakages.

I managed to get these guys built without gluing my fingers together or breaking anything while also making use of a few pro tips I was given.  The 1st tip is follow the instructions and building each model one at a time and the 2nd is construct and then prime the legs and upper portion of each model separately as it enables you to paint the inside of the trench coat with greater ease before then reuniting them to continue painting.

I also made a point of watching the GW Skitarii Ranger painting tutorial video before I set to work as I was planning to follow the same colour scheme and these new videos are bloody good.




I used the following colours on all the arc weapon FX, Sotec Green, Temple Guard Blue and Baharroth Blue which provides more or less the same effect that I have on the Frost Weapons in my Space wolves army minus the use of Stegadon Scale Green as a base which helps tie in the two army paint schemes.


I used the same arc weapon paint effect on the Rad Carbine, Omnispex and lamp details across the whole unit as it adds a nice accent colour that also helps to highlight some of the little details.


The bases are Khorne Red which is then dry-brushed in Ryza Rust followed by a highlight dry-brushing of Kindleflame then the bevel is painted in Rhinox Hide.


As someone who has painted an enormous number of Boltguns and even more Lasguns it was a little daunting to see the amazing level of detail on each of the Rad Carbines, they turned out looking great but I am glad I don’t have to paint many more of them.

Next up is the Onager Dunecrawler so I can legally field some battle Forged allies before I move on to the Mechanicus Elimination Maniple.  Another few weeks of pre-orders await me and my straining wallet but it's all looking amazing and I am really enjoying these releases and can't wait to get a look at the codex.

Anyway check back soon and thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. These look fantastic Simon. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers :) I am building my Dunecrawer right now and it's going together really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excited to see it! I just love the detail on these models and you've done a great job picking it all out!

      Delete
  3. The remind d me of the old Arbite models. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete