Monday, 12 May 2014

Workbench Progress - Astra Militarum

Hey peeps, 

I have spent the weeks since the release of the new Guard codex trying to get a basic 1500pts of infantry and support vehicles painted.  I already had a ton of dudes painted but I wanted to make sure everyone I needed for a pure platoon army was finished.  I am normally used to running a veteran army that consists of six ten man Veteran Squad and two Company Command Squads.  I am still not sure what if any special characters (Yarrick) and or advisers (Psykers, Priests) I will add and now that 7th edition is about to drop I will hang fire until I have the new rules in hand. 

Aegis Defense Line - Icarus Lascannon
Company Command Squad - Vox, Autocannon
Company Command Squad - Vox, Autocannon
Platoon Command Squad - Vox, Autocannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Platoon Command Squad - Vox, Autocannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon 
Platoon Command Squad - Vox, Autocannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon
Infantry Squad - Vox, Meltagun, Lascannon 
Vendetta Gunship - Twin-Linked Lacannon x3
Wyvern - Hull Heavy Flamer,  x2 Twin-Linked Storm Shard Mortar
Wyvern - Hull Heavy Flamer,  x2 Twin-Linked Storm Shard Mortar
Wyvern - Hull Heavy Flamer,  x2 Twin-Linked Storm Shard Mortar

I also I have the following fully painted units that I can add if required.

Rough Riders x10
Hell Hound x1
Leman Russ x3 Multiple Turrets and sponson weapons
Manticore x1


I turned my Forgeworld Hydras into Wyverns, I cut off the barrels of the autocannons and enabled them to be re-attached when and if they are required, the Wyverns are a really good anti infantry platform.

Despite the points increase which we all knew was coming I still feel that I should not be leaving home without at least one Vendetta Gunship.

Here I have three platoons each consisting of three Infantry Squads and one Platoon Command Squad, then have two Company Command Squad, with this lot its all about the orders and boots on the ground.

Each Infantry Squad sergeant, Junior and Senior officer feature a lot of custom work so they are all individual, on top of this the sergeants all have chainswords while the officers all have sabres and headgear befitting their rank.

I have gone with Heavy Weapons in the Command Squads to try and get as much lead down range as possible, its looking a lot like a late 4th Edition Guard army right now.

I have not managed to get in a game with these guys yet but I do plan to head down to my local GW for one last game of 6th Edition this Friday.  I am heading to Canada on holiday for the first two weeks of June but I will be digesting the new edition during the flight and will try to get a few posts out while I am away.

By the time I get back to the UK I expect the Orks will be almost upon us which means I will be dragging my Orks out of the loft ready to see whats hot and whats not.

Anyway that's I for now.


4 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful looking army. At first I was terrified when you cut your autocannon barrels...but it looks like you snuck magnets inside of them for re attaching...which is brilliant. They make perfect wyvern models. (I actually wouldn't have even known if you had not mentioned it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :)

      I have the barrels with a peg on the end with a magnet yes, I was very, very careful when it came to cutting the barrels off with the razor saw.

      I have Yarrick and 20 conscripts on my desk right now so I will try to get them done over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  2. I was considering doing this to my FW hydra's too, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take it slow so's not to break anything would be my best tip :)

      Also maybe see what comes out of this new flyer suppliment in case the Hydra has i use again.

      Delete