Sunday, 6 April 2014

Workbench Progress - Legion of the Damned

HEAVY METAL SPACE MARINES


Hey all, it's taken me a few weeks but my Legion of the Damned marines are all finished and looking very smart in my cabinet.


When I first placed my order for all these guys I was worried that they would turn up in a right old state as per my previous experience with the dreaded failcast so I had them delivered to my local store so I could have any defective models replaced without delay.  When it came time to collect my order I took a seat in store and began checking through everything and to my amazement and relief there was not a single defect.   


On top of a lack of defects the material they were cast in was much harder than the original finecast resin and felt more like some of the resins I have received from Forgeworld, even the store manager seemed surprised at how good they looked.


I had two units of five all cleaned up and built in an evening, I also added some magnets to enable weapon option swap-outs.  This resin was much easier to work with when it came to conversions, it offered much more resistance to my drill and blades which was very different to the material I had work on during the early Finecast days. 


Last time I was trying to add magnets to a finecast model I found it to be so soft that I had to be very, very careful that the drill did not cut too deep or that my blade did not do the same and end up cutting me.


When it came time to paint these guys I obviously started with a black undercoat.  


Next I painted the flames and eyes on everyone, starting with a base of Averland Sunset then I move down using the following colours in order Troll Slayer Orange, Wild Rider Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet and then Mephiston Red.  I then went back and highlighted the yellow using Ushabti Bone.


I used Leadbelcher and Balthasar Gold on the metallic areas and Zandri Dust highlighted with Ushabti Bone on all of the skeletal bits that are scattered all over these models.  I later added a wash of Nuln Oil to the Leadbelcher areas and Agraz Earthshade to the gold, red and bone details.

 

I painted all the slings, holsters and pouches in Rhinox Hide highlighted with Gorthor Brown then I added battle damaged to the armour using Leadbelcher.


as you will have noticed by now I have them all mounted on some cool Aztec skull temple bases, I cant remember exactly who I bought them from but they do look cool as hell.


Being a Space Wolves player this is the first Grav Weapon I have owned and or painted and in the hands of a guy with ignores cover on all his ranged attacks it will be deadly on the drop.


The Multi Melta and this Meltagun guy will be good for blasting all those annoying tanks with jink saves like Eldar and Tau and what's not to like about a Multi Melta that can move and fire at full BS?


Well that's all for now, not sure what will be up next as I have a few Astra Militarum things to paint ready for the new codex and I have almost finished Angron.

As usual check back soon.










No comments:

Post a Comment