Monday, 30 September 2013

NEWS - Games Day UK 2013

Hey everyone, like so many others I spent my Sunday at Games Day UK 2013 so I thought I would share the photos I took and my thoughts regarding the changes GW have made to this annual event.


The last time I attended a Games Days it was back in 2011, and it was a very different beast indeed to what greeted me upon arrival this year.  I was put off by what I saw back in 2011, it was too big and too crowded, this was exacerbated by the number of games tables that were crammed in, it was absolute chaos.  I felt it needed to be smaller as I barely saw anything beyond the crowds and the constant pushing and shoving that was required to get anywhere.  I vowed I would  not go again but this year I was told that it was all changing, it was being scaled down from 8000 to 4000 tickets and it would be a far smaller and more personal affair.  I was also told that the ticket price would be reduced as the Games Day model would not be included and would instead be sold separately, this was good news for me as it was shaping up to be another Fantasy model this year.  More good news was to come in the form of the seminars and the participation events being free of charge along with a retail area that would be much better able to deal with high volumes of customers.  Well to cut a long story short I bought a ticket a reserved a seat of the coach that was to leave from my local store.


 At 6:35AM on Sunday we were on the road heading to Birmingham, my body was having a hard time being out of bed that early so I kept myself busy making a shopping list and updating my facebook status to include the news of  my horrifying realisation that my phone had not fully charged and was showing 43% remaining.....FAIL! 

I switched my phone to flight mode and decided I would conserve the battery for taking as many photos as possible.  The journey was swift and without incident and apart from one of the passengers talking smack almost the entire way we arrived and were in the line to get into the main hall at 9:30AM.  Now I was told we were not getting into the hall until 10:00AM but at what must have been 9:40AM in we went.  I made a B-line for the Forge World sales area and easily made it into the 1st 60 people in line and in no time at all I had  secured Fulgrim, Angron and of cause the model everyone in that line was after Ferus Manus who I later heard sold out in the 1st 30mins.

I emerged from the sales area in a bit of a daze realizing that I was about 30 to an hour ahead of almost everyone else who was still in line, it was at this point that I ran right into a mate of mine who I was not expecting to see there which was a welcome surprise.  Now I had someone to hang out with I made my way to the Black Library stand to get a ticket to the 1:15PM seminar and then we went to look at some of the cool studio displays. 

Found some cool Tau suits in a colour that I would have never considered myself but really seemed to work. 

The Centurions, much maligned they are the Marmite of the modeling world, and while I still don't like their rules the models looked really good in the flesh, something about all the magazine shots makes many of GW's models look terrible.

Wraithblades are so cool up close I am still fighting the urge to include them amongst my Eldar allies.

I have one of these that I will post about soon and this picture will help me decide where to place my highlights for the best effect.

The meat and potatoes of Marine armies always served with a big old helping of Gravy guns, the White Scars. 

This table was amazing and it FW releases even half the crates and power generators that decorate it my wallet will never forgive me.





The drop site massacre table was another mind blowing example of why FW might as well print their own money.

AMAZING!

What is the collective noun for Smurf :) 

These models got my juices flowing as I do have a soft spot for all things Mechanicum, just out of shot was a WIP of a Skitarii trooper, I also had a flick through a sketchbook filled with design development sketches.


This shot of Kor Phaeron and Erebus turned out looking wicked.

Mind blown yet again when I happened across a sneaky peek at the Word Bearers Primarch Lorgar Aurelian.

It was soon time to go down to the Golden Daemon and armies on parade gallery where I saw some really cool models.





Being a big fan of Dreadfleet these two entries were a real treat for me.



Once we were out of the gallery we decided to go look at some of the old models that we owned way back in the early days of 40K, this was fun but made us both feel very old indeed. 








Well to sum up I did enjoy myself but would have left at 2:30PM if I had not arrived by coach because I had seen and done everything and was not really interested in the award ceremony which while it was interesting it was only 25mins from start to finish and mostly dominated by diorama heavy entries which don't really do it for me.  I felt the size was good this year and I was able to get round and talk to people and see everything but the food available on site was total crap so I was glad I had packed some snacks of my own so there is some room for improvement there next year.  The sales areas was much better organised than last time and apart from some trouble with the card transactions for a short time everything seemed to run smoothly.  The staff were plentiful and helpful though sometimes they seemed to be offering conflicting information but on a whole I was happy with the service and information I received.  I got the models I wanted but as I now buy all my books on kindle I was unable to purchase any of the Black Library early releases which was a shame but something I expected.

So will I go next year?..............maybe, I guess I will wait and see what the next 12 months bring us on the 40K front.    


No comments:

Post a Comment