Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Workbench Progress - Wolf Priest


Hello again everyone,

I am back with yet another model fresh off the production line, two in one week who'd have thought it?

I have been running my Drop Pod Wolves with a Rune Priest for quite a while now because for 100pts he is pretty good but I have found myself wanting something that was both as cheap in points but  synergised better with my army.  The Rune Priest was always taken packing Prescience which I am not able to use on a 1st turn drop so I  would always take a few Long Fang Packs and have him sit in the rear buffing their shooting.  Sometime it was proving unnecessary and in some cases a liability to always go Hybrid and include the Long Fangs so I needed a HQ who would offer me some help on the drop in an all drop pod army and the answer was a Wolf Priest.

After rooting round online I found that the only official Wolf Priest model in existence was the 2003 Games Days model so off to eBay I went.  As with any Games Day Model I had to pay through the nose to obtain one but it is a great model and will really help me out with his Oaths of War special rules with all the plasma I like to take.

You really cant complain about a 100pts model that packs as much equipment and rules as the Wolf Priest does.

WS=5
W=2
Power Armour 3+
Wolf Amulet 4++
AP=4 Crozius Arcanum
Oaths of War
Fearless
Counter Attack
ATSKNF

I did manage to get a mint in the box Wolf Priest for under £50 so I quickly set about cleaning it up and making a few changes to bring him in line with my army.


I put aside the Bolt Pistol as I will be using a Combi Plasma,  I had a Fine Cast Combi Plasma left over from a Terminator Librarian and after a quick hand swap to make it a right hander it was ready to magnetise.


I decided to add a standard to the back pack from my bits box then sanded the base and gave him a quick undercoat using the Vallejo Model Air Black Primer.


I then set about adding all the base colours across the entire models ready for the highlights and washes.


Once all the base colours and highlights were complete I went in and added a Nuln Oil wash to all the Leadblecher metal detail and an Agrax Earthshade to just about everything else, this really helped to mute it all down and make it look more in keeping with the rest of my army.

I then added the usual snow terrain base details and once it was all dry I gave the whole model a few layers of satin varish before going back in and adding gloss to the eye and the plasma coil and a few other little details, then I glossed the rim of the base as I always do.






Well apart from being a bit of a Bane look alike its a really great looking model that will stand out like a sore thumb amongst his icy grey/blue battle bros. 

So who will I paint next?......I think the last of my three elite units will have to be next so thats the eight power armored wolfguard all sporting combi plasma and their drop pod, this lot might take me a few weeks or more so I will try and get some WIP pictures up each week until they are done.

Check back soon for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment