Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Rapid Strike 2013 – My Other Army Is Drop Pod Space Wolves

Hey everyone, I attended my 1st ever tournament over the weekend along with a friend of mine so I thought I had better write a post about how it went.

So my list was Cult of Speed Orks which is a heavy assault army that I developed way back in 4th edition when I go back into 40K, they performed very well during 4th and maybe even better moving into 5th but eventually I moved on to other more shooty armies and the Orks got shelved.  By the time the new DakkaJet was released I had not played a game with my Orks for nearly 4 or 5 years so I bought three DakkaJets and another Battle Wagon to re-invigorate my interest, then 6th Edition landed and I got busy making changes to my Imperial Guard and Space Marine armies and then built a 6th Edition army in the form of Space Wolves so the Orks were on the back burner again.

Eventually I was done making changes to my other armies and a few other projects had come to an end so in light of so many new codex updates being released I figured I would paint my new Ork units so that when they too got a new codex I would have everything ready to roll on day one.

I painted one of my three DakkaJets and the BattleWagon and then I heard about a local tournament in my area that I wanted to attend, I spent ages trying to get together a 1500pt codex Space Marines list but I could not decide on what to take as I had no idea what everyone else would be taking.  I then decided instead to take my oldest army, an army that has served me well across two editions and was as yet untested in 6th Edition…….VOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM! enter the Cult of Speed Orks.



My List

Warboss
Mega Armour
Attack Squig

Mega Nobs x5
Battle Wagon
Big Shoota

Ard Boyz x10
Nob
Big Choppa
Boss Pole
Trukk
Big Shoota

Ork Boyz x10
Nob
Big Choppa
Eavy Armour
Boss Pole
Trukk
Big Shoota

Ork Boyz x10
Nob
Big Choppa
Eavy Armour
Boss Pole
Trukk
Big Shoota

Ork Boyz x10
Nob
Big Choppa
Eavy Armour
Boss Pole
Trukk
Big Shoota

Ork Boyz x10
Nob
Big Choppa
Eavy Armour
Boss Pole
Trukk
Big Shoota

Ork Boyz x10
Nob
Big Choppa
Eavy Armour
Boss Pole
Trukk
Big Shoota

DakaJet
Fly Boss
X3 Supa Shootaz

Battle Wagon
Deff Rolla
Big Shoota x2
Kill Kannon
Ard Case

I knew I was going to be totally off meta here as pure assault is considered dead in 6th Edition but I was sure this army would be fast and fun and so off topic that I would get a good sense of the local metagame from using it while truly testing just how pure assault units manage in the face of overwatch fire and challenges.

I turned up at the event a little before 9:00AM after a night of heavy drinking and not nearly enough sleep but I had stuck to dark Rum for most of the night so it was nothing some eggs and bacon topped with maple syrup could not fix.  After registration I went and downed a few cups of sweet tea and was ready to go face the first of my three games.


My first opponent was playing Codex Space Marines and it was clear that he was expecting triple Helldrakes or other flyer heavy builds like Cron air, he was packing the Aegis and Qaud-Gun along with a unit of three Hyperios Missile Defence Platforms.

Deployment: Dawn Of War
Mission: The Scouring
Result: Space Marine Win 9/4

I seized and got the first turn, I moved all my Trukks and Wagons 12” and then boosted the Trukks another 12” and the Wagons 6”, my opponent then got to shoot me, I lost one trukk and another was damaged so I gave up 1st blood but otherwise things went better than I had expected.  Turn 2 I moved my first wave of Trukks up 6” and started charging and things were going OK but in the shooting phase I forgot to boost my Mega Nob/Warboss Battle Wagon so the best part of my second wave would be arriving late.  My first wave was cleared up and by the time the 2nd/3rd Wave hit I was doomed, my Orks really depend on my first two waves striking turns two and then turn three and with my waves out of sync I was then left scrambling for objectives to have any chance of a win.

In the end I lost 9 to 4 and it was mostly my own fault for messing up my waves and racing passed one of my objectives before finding out it was worth 4 VP’s, my opponent played well and capitalised of my mistakes for the win.


My second opponent was playing Tau which had me worried as Tau were a tough matchup in 5th Edition for my Orks due to them having the ability to wreck a good number of my Trukks before I could deliver my Boyz into assault and on top of that they are now rocking a brand new codex.

Deployment: Hammer & Anvil
Mission: The Emperor’s Will
Result: Tau Win 5/4

My opponent setup in almost the exact same way as my first round opponent, all castled up on the 12” line behind an Aegis Defence Line, this would prove to be a popular theme during this event.

This game was my favourite game all day, despite me not getting the first turn and failing to seize I managed to get all bar one of my Trukks boyz units into assault on my turn two.  The Tau shot me up pretty good on the way in but the boyz were vaulting over the Aegis Defence Line and taking Tau skulls on turn two.  Then came the inevitable counter attack in the form of a withering hail of fire which saw my boyz take a hammering.  When the smoke had cleared at the start of my opponents turn three we heard the “40mins to go” warming from the TO at which point we both just looked at each other shocked that we had spent so long battling out only two turns.

We had spent two full turns doing what both forces do best, the Tau rolled a few hundred dice in shooting and I then did the same but in assault and when all was said and done it had just taken ages.  Thankfully we had both taken such a beating that the last three turns took no time at all and I think we even got in a turn 6 each before the end.

The end result was so close with on 1VP between us and neither of us could quite believe it, I gave this opponent my best sportsman vote as it was a great game that went right to the wire.


My third and final opponent of the day was playing Dark Eldar which gave me pause because this was a list made up of skimmers and had two Razorwing flyers, this was the first time during this event that I had faced flyers.  I saw this game turning into one where I just end up doing laps of the board chasing the skimmers all the while giving away kill points until I had nothing left but I could not have been more wrong.

Deployment: Dawn Of War
Mission: Purge The Alien
Result: Orks Win 19/8

I got a feeling that maybe I was the only person who did not bring an Aegis Defence Line as even this super mobile Dark Eldar player had tethered a good portion of his force to an Aegis castle with everything including his skimmers started behind it on turn one.

I think I lost the toss to go first so I had to take some shooting but only had one Trukk destroyed and another immobilised, I then raced forwards as I must and as usual it was soon turn two and I had 5 units of Orks leaping over the defence line.  I broke against the Defence Line as only a green tide can, the fist wave saw a mob of Ard Boyz surround a Raider containing a squad of warriors and the enemy warlord, the big choppa carried by the Nob made short work of the Raider and as the passengers were unable to be placed I was awarded 4 victory points, one for the Raider another for the squad on board then a third for the warlord and a 4th for the secondary objective Slay The Warlord. 

This turned the tide for me,  the Dark Eldar desperately battled to regain control of the defence line but it was too late, I had taken control of the Quad-Gun and was planning to turn it on the Dark Eldar in my following turn but they had other plans and destroyed it with a well-aimed volley of lance fire.  My DakaJet was great in this game and shot down two Razorwings and a Venom surviving long enough to start its second lap of the table, meanwhile below some of the boyz took up key positions to make sure I held on to Line Breaker and the other bonus tournament objective while the rest of the army followed my Warboss as he ran down the Dark Eldar survivors.

At the games end only one Dark Eldar Ravager remained in play and the Orks had achieved their first victory of the day WAAAGH!

I bought a round of drinks and we started to pack up ready for the award ceremony.

To sum up, the meta at this event was heavily influenced by the expectation of triple Helldrake or Cron air domination so almost everyone gave up most if not all of their mobility and opted to hold up behind an Aegis Defence Line.


I can see my Drop Pod Space Wolves list doing very well in this kind of environment so I need to hurry up and get 1500pts painted up enough that I can start using it at future events.


The event as a whole was very well  organised and all the tables were well presented with a good mix of different terrain types, I had no issues with any of my opponents as  they were all very friendly and great sportsmen. The TO’s were very helpful and always on hand to help out which was great for someone like me who has never attended an event like this before.

I met some cool people from my local area and some who had travelled from further afield, it was interesting talking to people from outside of my regular gaming group about tactics and models and really get my geek on for a whole day.

I placed 12th overall out of 22 players which was great considering the list of took, two of my three opponents gave me their best sportsman award which was really cooI, I do try to play with a friendly attitude as like Jervis would say its the job of both players to ensure that everyone has a fun game.

A friend of mine who was also competing for the 1st time came in joint second place for the best painted army award and won the coveted wooden spoon for placing 21st overall just ahead of the ringer so this picture will bring a smile to a few faces his included I hope :)


I did not have time to take many pictures of other armies outside of my games but here is a cool Monolith that I saw, the owner was happy for me to take a few pictures.


Oh and here is the Riptide I played in game two, this was only the 2nd time I had ever seen one in the flesh.


 Well thats all I have on the tournament, I think there is another event in August and then one in October so I had better get painting.

Check back soon..

1 comment:

  1. Wooden spoon............... Ha, ha, awesome!

    ReplyDelete