Sunday, 14 April 2013

Workbench Progress - 33 days until the Tournament

Evening all, I just finished the Drop Pod that I intend to use in a tournament I am taking part in next month, I have spent two days working on it and it's now ready for action.  I should get the rest of the stuff I need that's coming from Forgeworld delivered to work this week, the order includes an IrconClad Dreadnought and Lucius Drop Pod and ten MKV Marines with Umbra Ferrox Boltguns.


This is will be the 1st tournament I have ever attended and I thought it was time for me to add a few unit combinations that I have read and heard are effective in competitive play, well that's not entirely true I already have a Lucius Drop Pod for my Space Wolves and I know how good that can be at getting me 1st blood but the Sternguard are something I have not really used before on mass.


The plan for the Sternguard is much the same as how I use my Wolfguard Terminators, I will drop them in close to a high value enemy unit and open up with massed combi plasma, the Sternguard will be a full unit of 10 with 8 combi plasma's and 2 Meltaguns.  I have Pedro Kantor leading the force so the Sternguard will count as scoring which I guess makes combat squading useful after the drop if objectives are close by.

I am tempted to have Pedro drop in with the Sternguard to buff their attacks and give them a little more punch but in my experience old Pedro is not great in a fight on account of him swinging last with his Power Fist and only having a 4++ save.

My list will be the following

Pedro Kantor 

Ironclad Dreadnought (Seismic Hammer, Dreadnought CC Weapon, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer)
Sternguard x10 (Combi Plasma x8, Meltagun x2)

Tactical Squad x10 (Meltagun, Heavy Bolter)
Tactical Squad x10 (Meltagun, Heavy Bolter)

Lucius Pattern Drop Pod
Storm Talon (Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher)

Stormraven Gunship (Twin-Linked Multi Melta, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Stormstrike Missiles x4)

This force has 4 units that could start on the table and I could still put half of those in reserves as the flyers and Drop Pods don't count towards the 50 percent of units that must deploy at the start of the game.  I think I will start one of the Tactical Squads and the Hyperios Platforms on the table then have Pedro join the other Tactical Squad onboard the Stormraven and drop in via Skies of Blood.

The Ironclad can drop in on my turn one and try to smash something and maybe get me 1st blood then the Sternguard can drop in later, as they are scoring a delayed deployment will allow for more desirable enemy targets to present themselves while helping reduce the number of turns of return fire they have to endure.

I expect  will added some yellow chevrons to the ramps but it won't be before the tournament unless I finish everything way ahead of time.

Feel free to comment if anyone has some useful insight into using this list that I have not yet spotted.

Well I cant see my Forgeworld order arriving much before Wednesday so I guess that gives me a few days to make a start on my 7th Dreadfleet ship the Skabrus.

Be sure to check back mid week for another post unless some interesting Eldar news lands in which case I will post sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment