Hey there, I have been getting projects finished pretty regular of late which means I can post more often and this week is no different.
I first got my hands of the Leman Russ model back in October of 2016 and knowing that I had many other projects that I needed to finish first I decided to build him and then stash him somewhere safe.
When it came time to make start I still felt that the model was lacking something in the facial hair department and I soon discovered that Space Wolves fans are very vocal when it comes to the Wolf King's personal grooming habits.
The big question was whether to beard of not to beard? I understand why Forgeworld did not go down the beard route as at least a clean shaven Russ can have a beard added but if they had sculpted it there would be no removing it.
The artwork always seems to show Russ clean shaven with blonde hair but many fans think of him as bearded and flame haired. I have never thought of him as a red head but I did need a little more character somehow and then I saw the picture shown below and knew I was on to something.
Ignoring the red hair I felt that I could make those rock star lamp-chops work for me but I would need to defrost some Green-stuff.
Now many people I have spoken to would never dare consider adding Green-stuff sculpting to a model this expensive but I felt that I could pull it off.
I have done quite a bit of sculpting over the years so I just needed to be extra careful and hope that the end result served to complement the original vision of the sculpt. I posted the image above on a Space Wolves Facebook group and the feedback was massively positive which was amazing.
Work on Russ was interrupted by my trip to North America but before I left I posted the below WIP image on the same Facebook group and the response confirmed that I was on the right course.
When I got home I set to work once more and after less than a week the big bad wolf was ready to roll out to his adoring public.
I think he now looks just rock star enough and overall I feel the changes are in keeping with the slightly retro look of his armour and Viking theme. He would not look out of place of the cover of a 1970's/80's heavy metal album cover.
I let the completed head set the tone of the colour palette that was used across the rest of the model so everything tied in.
I did not go crazy highlighting the gold trim as I wanted it to look muted, I felt that too much bling would have looked out of place.
The armour of Elavagar in all its glory.
The Sword of Balenight is fully visible in this image.
The posing of this model really make it look like Russ is making calculated B-line for his enemy's intent of wrecking face.
I really like the detail on the shield and cloak.
The Axe of Helwinter.
The base has some nice details, I particularly like the Thousand Son's helmet.
So to sum up this model is beast mode and I am looking forward to trying it out on the table top as the rules seem to support how wicked the model looks. If you are interested in taking a look at my other finished Primarch models please follow the links below.
Thanks for reading and please leave any comments in the comments section down below and please do check back soon for more updates.